Northern Waterworks operates, maintains and manages water and wastewater treatment facilities for Municipal, First Nations, and Industrial clients.
Northern Waterworks is a growth-oriented company, with divisions in Northwestern, Northeastern and Southern Ontario. The rapid corporate growth provides Northern Waterworks employees with the opportunity for personal achievement. Northern Waterworks is seeking dedicated employees who have personal ambitions that closely match their corporate ambitions.
Northern Waterworks welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process.
Does this sound like you?
- Self Motivated
- Problem Solver
Current Posting – Water/Wastewater Operator, full time, permanent (Sioux Lookout, Ontario)
Water/Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Water / Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator is responsible for the water treatment plant(s) and water distribution system(s) in order to ensure residents have safe and clean water, in accordance with Federal, Provincial, and Municipal legislation, policies, and standards. The Water / Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator is also responsible for the wastewater treatment plant(s) and wastewater collection system(s) in order to ensure the collection and treatment of wastewater to produce an effluent that will not harm the environment or receiving waters.
- Maintains the water/wastewater treatment plants, collection and distribution systems in order to ensure the availability of a clean community water supply and discharge of effluent that meets applicable legislative requirements.
- Maintain the treatment plant systems
- Maintain and operate the filtering, chemical, and biological treatment processes
- Inspect, service and repair components of the treatment plants, including water intakes, pipes, water storage vessels, chemical treatment equipment, control systems, wastewater lift stations, circulation pumps, boilers, heat exchangers and valves
- Ensure an adequate supply of water for human consumption and firefighting activities
- Prepare work orders for servicing and repairs
- Arrange for major repairs
- Inspect the treatment plant systems on a daily basis to ensure effective operations
- Maintains the physical plant and mobile equipment
- Conduct regular inspections of the physical facilities, including regular weekend and holiday ‘on-call’ responsibilities
- Perform tasks as outlined in the preventative maintenance program
- Conduct inspections of mechanical, electrical and other building components and systems
- Conduct inspections of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems
- Maintain mobile equipment including vehicles
- Make arrangements for major repairs to the physical plant and mobile equipment
- Maintains the general administration of the water/sewer system(s) in order to ensure effective operations
- Keep a daily log
- Track data using the Northern Waterworks record-keeping program(s)
- Prepare activity and work order reports
- Recommend the purchase of goods and equipment
- Maintain inventories
- Provide reporting data to the Project Operations Manager
- Ensure records are maintained
- Supervise the activities of contractors and casual staff
- Performs other related duties, as required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Minimum education requirement: Secondary School Diploma
- Minimum certificate requirement: Operator-in-Training
- Water and wastewater system operation and maintenance
- Water and wastewater sampling and testing techniques
- Water and wastewater plant operation and maintenance, including pumps, valves, chemical treatment systems, etc.
- Water distribution and wastewater collection systems, including pipes, water mains, manholes, hydrants, lift stations, etc.
- Equipment and process inspection procedures
- Basic knowledge of mechanical, electrical, plumbing and heating systems
- Building maintenance
- Applicable legislation
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Basic mechanical skills
- Ability to operate and maintain water and wastewater equipment and systems
- Ability to work independently or as part of the team
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Decision-making skills
- Literacy skills, including the ability to read manuals
- Effective verbal communication and listening skills
- Computer skills, including the ability to use word processors and spreadsheet programs
- Effective public relations skills
- Stress management skills
- Time management skills
The incumbent must demonstrate the following attributes:
- Maintain standards of conduct
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate a dedication to the position and community
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Be consistent and fair
Job duties, work assignments, and work locations are subject to change on short notice at Management’s discretion.